Sunday, October 16, 2005

Agamemnon -vs- U2

So I'm sitting in this auxiliary seminar on American short stories tonight, discussing Billy Budd and my cell phone rings--vibrates, really. It's Mr. Patton, a friend from my Math/Sci tutorial and seminar this summer. I'm curious. He's a cool guy, but he lives in Baltimore and it's not like we were in the habit of hanging out much over the summer. Why's he calling me on a Sunday night?

Hang Billy Budd. I get out of there and although the voicemail is a bit garbled, I make out the sounds -ou too -iladelphia -orrow night -stra ticket. I like the sound of those.

I call him up and yes. It's all true. He has an extra ticket for the U2 concert tomorrow night in Philadelphia! Ah crap! I have class tomorrow night. Two poems by George Herbert in tutorial and Aeschylus's Agamemnon in Seminar. I set to thinking and before I even furrow my brow, the answer: Agamemnon can kiss my ass. Clytemnestra too. Now, I don't want that to be taken as an equivocation in my views on mariticide, but when the choice is between U2 and plotting housewives...

I'm not only against mariticide, either. I equally denounce regicide, fratricide, sororicide, patricide, suicide, matricide, theatricalaside--pretty much any kind of cide. Except applicide. Apple juice doesn't compare. That reminds me of another kind of cide... euthanazing small animalsicide. I'm not categorically opposed to that one either.

In fact...

I'm tempted to detail my own foray into this last cide, pacifically cause one a my reading public requested it on this very blog. But I think that'll be for another day when I got no other material to work with. U2 and Agamemnon will suffice for tonight.

I've got to get a few more listens on "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." I don't want to show up tomorrow night without doing my homework.

1 Comments:

Blogger DavidKraus said...

Well, funny you should axe. I guess you're both right, although I might add that it would actually be more like fratricide or parricide. So I guess your friend is wrong and only you're right, although I might add that Jesus said something like whoever calls his brother (friend) an idiot has already committed murder in the heart, so maybe you're wrong. In that case, you're both wrong and I'm the idiot for saying above that you were both right.

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home