Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Blog Day 2

So far so good. In order to run long-distance in Annapolis in July, it is imperative to begin early. The earlier the better. Waking up this morning at 7:45 was a failure of sorts. I think that I was dreaming about Lobachevski's wife and I would be hard pressed to say what, if anything, she was wearing. The recovery process began as soon as my feet hit the floor. Muttering a cordial "good morning" to the guy whose bed is also in my room, I donned the stench that enveloped my running shorts and for 7 miles struggled with limited success to stay ahead of the odour, all the while performing the mental preparations necessary to wash them in the sink when I got back. Which I did.

The rest of the day was more or less taken with reading Nicomachus and then Lobachevski's bizarro geometry, punctuated by a three-hour tour of the college library, a tour which entailed meeting with each of three people in permanent full-time positions at the library. This included my only known enemy, the director, whose work includes collections acquisition, as well as budget, personnel, and facilities management. The other two were the technical/preservations/catalog person and the reference librarian. I liked the last one the most because it has the broadest scope of work, researching some obscure and interesting questions.

In other news, I have come to learn that one of the people in my segment is both an apostate and a relativist. While I am hesitant to dismiss outright their respective merits, I don't think that I could embrace either one of them with a straight face. In the "Number" preceptorial, when we were discussing the conceptions of number according to Nicomachus, Euclid, and this guy, he kept talking about my 3, not their 3. I sense trouble for the future of personalized concepts of number. Let's hope that I'll be able to keep a straight face during the in-class discussions. I'd hate to come across as a smart-ass, but...

I reckon there's more that could be said about Wednesday, but that's about all I can tolerate writing about this particular one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home